Hi there,
I've been a long time PCP user with various RPi over the years.
My primary player is a RPi2 with a 7" touch screen (running JiveLite)
and an IQAudio DAC+. It's a tip-top setup.
Today I thought of a good project for a spare RPi Zero (v1.2) that I
have lying around: I thought I'd attach it to my TV and use it as a 'Now
Playing' screen for the Squeezebox in the same room.
Initially, I thought I'd be able to use the USB ethernet adapter I
bought from Pimoroni
(https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/usb-multi-function-lan-adaptor) but
after not getting it to boot, I did some web searches and realised that
USB LAN isn't supported.
No problem, though, as I have a WiFi adaptor that I used to use for PCP
in my RPi2 (which now uses ethernet).
The WiFi adaptor in question is (from memory - it's not actually written
on it) an Edimax one, but, like I said, it works fine in my RPi 2
running PCP.

So anyway, I followed the instructions to get a RPi A+ working, as per
your advice, and edited the default newconfig.cfg file to contain my
WiFi info, and loaded it into the SD.
It booted up, found my WiFi dongle, but returned the error:
Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) : too few arguments

So, I assumed a typo or something. To mitigate any problems with the
info I put in the newconfig.cfg file, I thought I'd set up a working
WiFi connection on my RPi2, then save its config to USB, and copy out
its proven working WiFi section into the newconfig on my PiZero (using
Notepad++ so it shouldn't be a problem with Windows vs. Unix return
characters).
And here's the curious bit: despite the very same USB WiFi adaptor
working fine in my RPi2 PCP install, and despite pasting those known
working settings into the Pi Zero's newconfig.cfg file, I still get the
same "too few arguments" error when I go to boot the Pi Zero.

Any idea what's wrong here?

FWIW, here's the WiFi section (with the password redacted - however, it
only contains letter and numbers, so it shouldn't be an illegal
character problem):

#########################
# Edit the variables below to setup a wifi based system without LAN
access
# Change Wifi to "on". Valid options for Encryption are "WEP", "WPA" or
"OPEN"
WIFI="on"
SSID="The Mollusk"
PASSWORD="**REDACTED**"
ENCRYPTION="WPA"
# End Wifi setup

Thanks for your help.

2x squeezebox classics | 2x squeezebox booms | 1x raspberry pi 2 b w/
picoreplayer, iqaudio dac+, 7\" touch screen | orangesqueeze as android
controller
lms v7.9.1 running as a docker in unraid on a hp microserver gen8