Girth wrote:
> What do you see if you use plug:equal ?
I don't know :)

I think we have 2 issues. The first one is this strange double-free
crash whenever equal is in use. I went back to a fresh PCP 3.2.0
install, and I just get this error consistently when I try to mpg123 or
aplay a file. Sound is ok regardless.
I dropped a message in the PCP3.2 announce thread, either the devs look
at it or not, since the machine doesn't crash I'm ready to send the
trace to /dev/null and forget about it.

The second one, overlaying a sound over the music, all converted to
mono, begins to get sorted. This is my asound.conf file:
    tc@pcp:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
  # default - Generated by piCorePlayer
  # Unused. Disable it?
  pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
  }

  # PCP3.2: squeezelite gets set to use this device ("-o equal")
  pcm.equal {
  type plug;
  slave.pcm plugequal;
        # Mono downmix
        ttable {
                        0.1 0.5
                        0.0 0.5
                        1.0 0.5
                        1.1 0.5
                }
  }

  # Used by equal. Why not.
  pcm.plugequal {
  type equal;
  slave.pcm "plug:dmixer";
  controls "/home/tc/.alsaequal.bin"
  library "/usr/local/lib/ladspa/caps.so"
  }

  # Used by plugequal. Allows shared access to device "equal"
  pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1234
        ipc_key_add_uid 1
        ipc_perm 0666
        slave {
                pcm "hw:1,0"
        }
  }

  # Whatever ctl magic things
  ctl.dmixer {
        type hw
        card 1
  }

  ctl.equal {
  type equal;
  controls "/home/tc/.alsaequal.bin"
  library "/usr/local/lib/ladspa/caps.so"
  }
--------------------

With this, squeezelite plays in mono and equalized, and I can play a
soundbite at the same time. squeezelite uses "-o equal" (don't know
where PCP sets that), and to overlay a sound I can "sudo aplay -D equal
xxx.wav"

One thing really doesn't cut it: volume control. I need to reduce the
volume for squeezelite temporarily while I play my sound. For the moment
I would need to reduce Digital volume something like 100% to 50%, boost
the player volume setting on LMS so that music remains audible (players
are set at 20-30%), and then play the sound.
That won't work.
Since I am using mono I '\"guess\"'
(https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201494532/comments/207535179)
squeezelite could output to the left channel, my program to the right
channel, and use different values for left and right Digital volume. In
the end however I still need to output the exact same audio on both
speakers. I fear a t-table f-fest.

I will eagerly read your suggestions.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.