merlinus wrote:
> Thanks, but still not working.  I will uninstall LMS and then re-install
> it to see if it makes any difference.
>
> Now I cannot install it.  Here is synaptic's error msg:
> logitechmediaserver:
>
> Package logitechmediaserver has no available version, but exists in the
> database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
>
> Is there some repository I can add so it can be installed?

Nowadays I follow the instructions here

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Debian_Package

to install LMS.

This has the bonus of getting the correct version.

I have tried running it all in one go, as one would with a script, but
now split it into sections (before I just pasted each line separately).

It will pay to completely remove LMS and all its bits before starting.

ronnie

ps. i think Slarti's idea of using the pi is a good one:)