Ok just to update.

I installed the sqllite binary on the pi and tried manually creating
tables in a db on the sambda share.

*database locked*

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is but clearly it's not PCP.

It may well be that I'm on a BTRFS filesystem, I have no idea, I wasn't
aware the file system could make a difference when over CIFS.

Anyway I added a nolock option into the mount options on the PCP and
this resolved the issue.

When checking on PCP with mount -v this manifested as a nobrl option.

The mount man page says this about it :

    nobrl

  Do not send byte range lock requests to the server. This is necessary for
certain applications that break with cifs style mandatory byte range locks (and
most cifs servers do not yet support requesting advisory byte range locks).

Not entirely sure if there will be any negative repercussions to using
this option, but I'll go with it for now and see.

Some recent comments here on sqlite/cifs/nobrl
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42722855/sqlite-3-on-windows-share-cifs-access-from-ubuntu-nobrl-risk

Cheers