Hi,
Thanks for the quick response! :-)

Yes, Squeezelite is running and piCoreplayer can be seen in the 'Choose
Player' drop down box.

To respond to your questions I rebooted piCoreplayer and there has been
a subtle change! I notice that now the 'Choose Player' drop down box
intermittently offers piCoreplayer then switches to Squeezelite as an
option, which was not available before. However the problem has not
changed in any way.

While the scanned music on both usb and network mounts are still
visible; the following persists:
1) Selecting a song needs to be 'forced' for want of a better word by
repeated taps on the select button
2) Selected song may play for three seconds, then stop (counter
returns to 0.00)
3)Trying to delete the list of unplayable songs using the 'X' does not
work. (Or any other buttons for that matter) as if piCoreplayer is
frozen or hanging.

Thanks again.