Forgive me for asking a question that may have already been answered in
this rather long thread, I have searched for the solution without
success.

I am using Ubuntu LTS versions (14.04, 16.04 and 18.04) on various
computers and I have good experiences using squeezelite for playing
music locally on these computers. However, the squeezelite version that
comes with the LTS versions seems to be rather old.

So can anyone point me at directions on how to fetch and install the
latest version on my computers, including a nice and tidy startup
script?

Does anyone maintain a PPA for this, or do I have to download and
compile from source? Any directions would be much appreciated.