OK - very strange. I did some digging and uncovered something about how
LMS used a different location for config or somesuch after resizing the
partition -
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?109404-ANNOUNCE-piCorePlayer-4-0-0&p=921571&viewfull=1#post921571

Since I'd resized it previously and encountered some odd log entries, I
wondered if I might be experiencing similar? (I admit that I'm grasping
at straws here)

[19-04-16 10:10:31.8259] Slim::Web::Template::SkinManager::_fillTemplate
(337) Error: file error - failed to create compiled templates directory:
/usr/local/slimserver/Cache/templates (mkdir
/usr/local/slimserver/Cache: File exists at
/usr/local/slimserver/lib/Template/Provider.pm line 863.

If no one has any diagnostic suggestions I'll start from scratch.