Paul Webster wrote:
> Your best bet might be to install LMS somewhere in your network and then
> turn on slimproto debugging and hook up a Squeezelite to it to see what
> is going on - or run Squeezelite with debugging turned on since it does
> dump out quite a lot of slimproto info as it goes.
>

> LMS web UI/settings/advance/logging/(network.protocol.slimproto) -
> SlimProto (Squeezebox / Transporter) Protocol

Actually, I'm happy to report that when I worked around two problems
(the UDP discovery protocol changed so I just set squeezelite to look
directly for the server's ip; and; squeezelite wants to see messages
every few seconds, so I set the volume to what it already is at
internals), the rest just worked. I have lots of testing to do but at
least I have a solution. I will try putting up the standard LMS and
seeing how it gets around the timeout (since I doubt it sends volume
commands over and over), thanks.

Next up is getting audio off the awful 3.5mm jack. For my main stereo I
need optical (TOSlink) output. (Don't need a DAC, in other words). A
cheap soundcard I have has an optical out but only has 16 bit depth, and
it doesn't sound good. What's my best bet for getting TOSlink out from a
pi at 24-bit depth? (Having the additional option of DAC and stareo
analog outputs wouldn't be a bad thing.)

The other systems do need a DAC and RCA outputs, but my need for high
fidelity isn't quite as extreme.  Have people been happy with HIFIBERRY
DAC+ offering?