I've had a number of squeezebox hardware players for some years.
Luckily for me they have shown no problems that a firmware reset didn't
seem to fix.  However I was looking gloomily at the possbility of having
to replace them, and the extravegant and high prices solutions like
Sonos seemed to offer.

I came across lots of Squeezebox advice, and ended up following the
instruction for setting up piCorePlayer on a pi.  Kudos to all; in one
shot the whole thing worked well, including a wireless setup without a
wired network connection (who has a handy LAN point these days??).

So I just thought I'd post a thank you.  I'm even surprised at the audio
quality out of the analogue phone jack.  I don't need a super hifi
solution for my use case, but I was surprised listening on my headphones
at how reasonble the sound is from the naked pi (using a 3 b+).  I'm
going to be hooking it up to a power amp in the next fwe days to see how
it holds up.  If I end up needed some sort of DAC device or resorting to
the hdmi output, it's still been good value.

Keep it coming folks.