Marsupial wrote:
> That's my plan, keeping the collection on one side and the media server
> on the other.
>
> The old NAS I have been using was up to its limitations and upgrading to
> bigger drives was not possible anyway so I hope to be able to at least
> double my network storage space and increase network traffic speed in
> the process.

I use a QNAP mounted by NFS
On the qnap media is stored in
/Multimedia/music
and playlists in
/Multimedia/playlists

By default access to Multimedia is by admin.administrators so I have a
Windows user jim (me) who is a member of administrators. That lets me
access and write via Windows.
You then enable NFS on the Multimedia share and mount via fstab
NFS is root.root which in QNAP terms is admin.adminstrators. Easy.
LMS needs write access to playlists but as Squeezeboxserver user is a
member of group root no additional messing is required.
I imagine but not 100% sure that Synology will be identical.

One of my QNAPs is probably as old as your Thecus but it still works in
this way. I keep 3 QNAPs - 2 on-site and 1 remote - in sync for backup
and a secondary LMS at the remote site.

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng