mikeh49 wrote:

  >   > squeezelite -o front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0 -n PogoMobile -a 40::16:0
--------------------

> All streams that played properly on 1.6.5 using the front: device also
> play on 1.9.5 using the front: device.  AFAIK, these are all 44.1 kHz
> streams, at least the 4 or 5 that I checked for sample rate.   The
> 20.05 kHz streams do not play with either 1.6.5 or 1.9.5.
> Using plughw: on 1.9.5, all streams, both 20.05 kHz and 44.1 kHz play
> with crackles, forcing 16 bit in the -a parameter seems to remove the
> crackles from the 44.1 streams.
> I don't think I tried plughw: on 1.6.5.

OK - that clarifies things.

I don't know the specific effects of the various "-a" parameters but on
my system 40 is the default value - so it effective does nothing.  I
would thought increasing it to something like 80 would be a test

Also when testing the parameters I would start by only changing one at a
time.

To see the ALSA setting actually being used add the  "*-d output=debug*"
logging option  - it will also give details on supported rate and
whether some parameters have been rejected.