WMB wrote:

> Possibly too swiftly because I find the wifi dongle does not always seem
> to load in time, but a reboot generally does the trick.

I would suspect a DHCP server delay, on the wifi page, you can increase
the network timeout.  It defaults to 50, but I've seen some need to set
this to 65.

> I initially had a problem with V5.0 the amplifier being muted which was
> not evident on the earlier version and which was resolved with a line in
> the startup -dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus,unmute_amp- which I found
> (somewhat hidden) in the IQ guide.

You should be able to select that option in the card config page.   A
better option would be to add 22 to the GPIO setting (I think active
low) on the squeezelite page.  That will mute and unmute the amp based
as needed.

> The rotary volume control is another matter...

For this, I would look at this
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107001-ANNOUNCE-SqueezeButtonPi-Tool-to-use-buttons-and-rotary-encoders-on-a-RPi

The extension is pcp-sbpd.tcz

piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please 'donate'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=U7JHY5WYHCNRU&lc=GB&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted)
if you like the piCorePlayer