paul- wrote:
> It sounds like you are starting the system with the speakers powered off

Sometimes that is the case, correct.

paul- wrote:
> are disconnecting and then reconnecting them.

This is often the case.

paul- wrote:
> The only solution is to build creative udev rules.

That sounds like deep digging inside the system.

I found out, that it is enough to call (thanks for the idea "Man in a
van"!):
sudo alsactl restore

after switching on the speakers. So I can write an automation in Home
Assistant to not only switch on the speakers, but also to call this
command via ssh. This should be working.

Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB; Pi3B+ (7"
Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCoreplayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for
Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone; two Airport Express