Man in a van wrote:
> Does the pCP player connecting via the usb always have content playing
> through it ?
>
> ronnie

Not sure I understand your question. No, I do not have music playing
constantly. I'll have a listening session and then empty the playlist in
LMS and move on to whatever is next  -- work, sleep, TV, grocery store,
etc. However, nothing is turned off. When I come back for some more
listening, I simply pick what I want to hear and play it. That's when
the USB is wonky as described.

Interestingly, I switched the PCP back to analog output and the player
is now responsive with no problem of coming back on immediately after it
has been sitting a while.

I think what I'll end up doing is moving my HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro Hat over
to the PCP player and run it that way.

In digging deeper, I've also found the USB input on my Bel Canto C5i is
version 1.1 and doesn't support rates over 96KHz. In short, I just think
the RPi3 / C5i combo is just too flakey for the USB interface. No need
to beat my head against the wall when the HFBerry Hat works perfectly,