Tony T wrote:
> but if I plug the drive into the 3.0 port it will disconnect (or not
> mount at all)

I don‘t think it is a power issue, I think it is more a problem of the
USB-SATA(or whatever) controller and the Pi 4. I had the same problem
with a USB-M.2 SATA controller. There has to be a message from me with a
list which adapter is is working and which not. If you search the web
for USB 3 and Pi 4 you will find some webpages which describe the
problem in detail. You can also find  solution to add quirks (whatever
this is) to the Pi to not use UASP with this special controller and then
it works.
I don‘t know what the real problem is, but it must have something to do
with a not so acurate USB 3 implementation in the Pi.

Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB; Pi3B+ (7"
Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCoreplayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for
Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone; two Airport Express