Thanks for replying Paul.

I'm trying to hook the encoders to function as volume up/down and
up/down events within Jivelite. Essentially to replicate some of the
behaviour of a Squeezebox Radio.

I know the device-tree overlay loaded fine as I can see it under
/proc/device-tree but no actual input device under
/proc/bus/input/devices got created. I believe that is the job of the
kernel module.
Once that actual device was available I was hoping to pipe it into
jivelite and have it process the events from the relative axis into the
desired effect.

I've seen sbpd mentioned in other forum posts but it seems to only
handle a single encoder and it maps it directly to volume. I suppose I
could extend it to do what I want but it seemed like duplicated effort
when there was already a kernel module available that would provide
input events in a standard linux way.

You mentioned that you had this working with other means. Could you
provide details please?

Thanks
Tact