I will look into changing the colour of the characters, to see if makes
any difference.  I'm surprised that you find the minimum setting too
bright however - on setting 1 I find the display very dim, barely
visible in the daytime and comfortable at night.

My apologies if this is already obvious, but are you sure you're
adjusting the correct brightness setting?  There are two settings under
the piCorePlayer menu, and they are difficult to distinguish with the
truncated width of the Pirate Audio screen.  The fourth menu item under
the piCorePlayer menu is 'Adjust Display Backlight Brightness'.  This is
the setting for when the player's soft power is on.  The fifth item is
'Adjust Display Backlight Brightness when Powered Off'.

So for instance, if you turn off the soft power of the player overnight,
but you have only adjusted the brightness in the fourth menu item (for
when it is on), then you may not be seeing the expected brightness.
Conversely, if you have adjusted the 'when off' brightness, but you
don't actually soft power off the player, you'll be getting the
brightness that was set under the fourth menu item.