I was able to find (from 'here'
(https://www.usbdev.ru/files/asmedia/asmt2115firmware/)) and reload the
original 140704_A1_00_00 firmware for the Argon M.2 adapter, but it did
not restore the original speed.  It simply removed the trim support.  I
tried it also on a fresh pCP7 install, in case anything about enabling
trim had caused the slow down, but no joy.

So this makes me think that the original speed improvement was a
function of some configuration option in the firmware, rather than the
firmware capability itself, which gives me hope that a bit more
experimentation might bring that back under the trim-capable firmware.
But if it doesn't, well I'm happy that the current speeds (write speed
~150MB/s and read speed ~210MB/s), equivalent to my previous SATA SSD,
are more than enough for a mostly static LMS music library, and that the
added trim support will extend the life of the drive.

So I've put the newest available firmware (141126_A1_EE_82) back on,
which has restored trim support.