Annoyingly I can't get the RPi to load the /dev/cec0 with the new SD
card that I have rebuilt things on.

I suspect there is something that I did yesterday that I have missed out
today.
The overlay is specified in config.txt
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

If I put the SD card from yesterday into the 2nd RPi then I do get
/dev/cec0 created ... so the hardware difference does not appear to be
the issue.
The 2nd Pi is a B+ ... so not very different anyway.

I have also put the cmdline.txt from RPi1 into RPi2 and it does not
change things.

Next step is to compare all of the .tcz extensions I loaded.
Obviously RPi2 has a lot more because of the build environment (I had to
add a max_loop=150 to cmdline.txt avoid a mount error when installing
one).

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland