Thanks Paul, that's all useful information.  I've noticed that some of
these commands that don't seem to work without specifying a path seem to
be exactly the same versions in the default shell and in the specific
binary location, whereas some seem to be different.  For instance, awk
--help reports 'BusyBox v1.31.1 (2020-12-18 22:25:41 EST)' when called
as either awk or /usr/bin/awk, whereas '/bin/echo --help' reports
'BusyBox v1.31.1 (2020-12-18 22:25:41 EST)' but without the path it
simply echoes '--help'.  So I'm curious where the separate executables
come from.  Are some simply links to the busybox versions, whereas
others are standalone binaries?

I've reverted to the original script on my Pi3A+, where the
start-stop-daemon apparently won't 'stop' the process, but it does
'start' it.  But I'm getting very confused and will probably call it a
day very soon.  I'm getting confused because:
1) The script doesn't call the start-stop-daemon itself - it calls the
init.d script which uses the start-stop-daemon appropriately.
2) When I call the init.d script to 'stop' squeezelite, the process
doesn't actually get killed
3) When I call the init.d script to 'restart' squeezelite, the old
process gets killed and a new one is started.  The odd thing about this
is that to do a 'restart', the init.d script simply asks the daemon to
do a 'stop' followed by a 'start'.  So why does 'stop' on its own not
work, whereas 'stop' followed by 'start' does?  I need to double check
this behaviour again, Pi3A+ versus Pi4B, because it doesn't make sense.

I've tried loading bash and forcing my script to run under bash, as well
as forcing the init.d script to run under bash, but neither seem to make
the start-stop-daemon successfully stop squeezelite.

The start-stop-daemon seems to be part of busybox.  It would be
interesting I think to look at the source code to try and understand
what it actually does.  And maybe I should try making the init.d script
use /sbin/start-stop-daemon instead of the default version, but I note
that both versions report 'BusyBox v1.31.1 (2020-12-18 22:25:41 EST)'.