pgf wrote:

> I think there are a lot of places where scripts and test cases can go
> wrong without needing to investigate the kill command itself.

Thanks for taking a look in that much detail.  I'd love to agree with
your final statement, but I've been very careful to make sure that the
pidfile and the process stay in sync.  My current test script avoids the
init.d script altogether - it starts Squeezelite manually (it doesn't
use 'sudo', but since it's called by udev the process is owned by root
anyway), and the pidfile is created with 'sudo bin/echo...' (perhaps the
sudo isn't necessary for the same reason that the script is run under
udev).

So with everything in sync, the default 'kill' is NOT able to kill the
process, whereas /bin/kill IS.  In both cases, the kill command is being
called directly by the udev script (i.e. without invoking the
start-stop-daemon) in response to the DAC being unplugged,

And of course there's the other thorny little complication that the
behaviour of 'start-stop-daemon stop' is different on my Pi4B, where it
works.