pgf wrote:

> You should do whatever you want with this, though now that you have a
> good workaround for stopping squeezelite properly, maybe you'll just use
> your script.

That's brilliant, thanks Paul.  I don't really see the benefit of the
udev approach over your approach.  Your script is leaner, and doesn't
require any 'installation', other than to call it from a User Command.
If this was StackExchange, this should be the top answer to the question
"How do I start/restart Squeezelite when I plug in my USB DAC?"

I'm left with a couple of nagging doubts.
1) If I'm remembering and interpreting correctly, I think Bogg also
reported that his system would not start squeezelite via the
start-stop-daemon.  That was the reason I implemented a copy of the
'start' approach in my script.  It would be interesting if Bogg could
uninstall the old udev script and give this one a try, to see if that's
still the case.
2) Your script uses the 'restart' option of the init.d script, which
simply does a behind-the-scenes 'stop' then 'start'.  It would probably
be safer for your script to explicitly do a new-style 'stop' followed by
an init.d 'start', although I recognise that it should never get to the
state that causes this problem, i.e. where the DAC has disappeared just
before the script does a restart, without the script explicitly doing a
new-style stop first.  I hope that explanation is not too muddled.