After about one year of just enjoying my music, I suddenly realised I
was two versions behind. So I updated the three Pcp-instances I had
running:

- a headless Pi2B with a Hifiberry DAC, wired connection
- a Pi2B with a Hifiberry DAC and an official Raspberry touchscreen,
  wifi connected
- a Pi2B with an Hifiberry AMP and a Waveshare touchscreen, wifi
  connected

1 insitu update to 7.0 and then to 8.0 without any problem
2 insitu update to 7.0 and lost wifi connection. The wifi-dongle was no
longer detected. It took me a while to find out it was a driver issue. I
had to try out about 10 wifi-dongles before I found one that worked. I
also learned that it is not a good idea to have wired and wifi
connection active at the same time. Very strange things happend then. It
has taken me a while to connect the dots but  in the end I did a new
installation of PCP 8.0. and all was well.
3 insitu update to 7.0 and the to 8.0 without any problem, wifi was not
affected. As expected, the Waveshare screen needed a new calibration.

Which leads me to the question as to how one can select a suitable
wifi-dongle? Is it enough that the maker declares it works with Linux
out of the box or that it is compatible with Rpi4?