I successfully did in situ updates on a few piCore players, but one
player fails to play after updating.

This is a Pi A+ that I use with analog output in an old transistor radio
to make a portable player. The player connects to the wifi network,
Squeezeplayer is running, and "Headphones" is the selected output
device. I tried different output settings, but that made no difference.

If I hit play, there is no audio output and the playback indicator
doesn't move from zero, i.e. playback doesn't commence.

I also tried a clean install of pCP8, and that shows the same behavior.
If I reinstall pCP7, everything works.

All my other players use a HAT of one type or another, and these all
work, which leads me to suspect that using analog output might be my
problem.