Yes, that was the trick. Open the case, pull out the SDCard running
Volumio, and drop in a new card with PcP 8.0.0

Within minutes I had music playing again via Squeezelite. Yes, I can now
see the player in LMS again. Huzzah! So nice having a GUI to configure
Squeezelite settings rather than using ssh commands.

Selected *HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro* from the drop-down list of output
devices and sweet sounds come out the speakers (i2S out into Metrum Onyx
DAC).

Thanks to the authors of this software and also for the help from forum
members : ) Stuart