My main music folder has 1000s and 1000s of subfolders and is still
basically unresponsive in Finder

I've got myself up and running using FileZilla and SFTP to connect to
the Samba share and transfer files

But it's still not a really good alternative to having the Samba share
mounted in Finder

I found this article
https://medium.com/@augusteo/fixing-slow-macos-finder-connection-to-linux-samba-server-ed7e5ea784c1
which gives some info on how to improve Samba response when connecting
using a MacBook

It suggests inserting the following into the smb.conf file:

  vfs objects = fruit
  fruit:aapl = yes
  fruit:encoding = native
  fruit:locking = none
  fruit:metadata = stream
  fruit:resource = file

Is anyone able to comment as to whether or not these changes will help?

After some rummaging, I found the smb.conf file here:
/usr/local/etc/samba

However, I can't edit changes (using vi) because it's marked as readonly
(ls -l shows "-rw-r--r--" as the permissions)

Is this just because Samba is running, and if so would it be as simple
as stopping Samba, editing the file, restarting Samba again?

Thank you for any help...