Pommes wrote:
> Maybe I am not understanding you right, but I have a PCP with LMS on
> pi4. And attached to that PI is my USBDAC. No need for an extra PI
> client, you can run all on one PI

Here’s an excerpt from Klaus’ (Soundcheck) blog,

“ Keeping the server separate from my experience is a good idea for
several reasons.
To list a few:

You can keep the server close to the router, especially if you don't
have
ethernet cable wiring in your home.
Do not use Wifi to attach a server to a network!
You keep that server away from the actual audio room and audio system
You don't have to sit in the audio room (living room in my case) to do
all kind of config and maintenance work
Running CPU hungry DSP work, such as resampling or convolution, working
with large collections and handling several clients will put high
demands on a server.
You don't want to have all that running on your highly efficient
playback client.
sharing USB for storage and DAC would not be such a good idea
your streaming client can become/remain really slim and highly efficient
as discussed in the other articles

That's why I recommend to put the server part on an external server and
let the clients
run as separate highly efficient  streaming clients.”

“ The RPIs major weakness used to be their joint USB2.0 Ethernet
infrastructure.

That dramatically changed with the introduction of the RPI4.

I consider the PI4 USB performance that good, that I switched back from
I2S-HAT audio  to USB DACs after running I2S-HAT DACs for several years
.

Advise: Running USB storage and audio devices side by side on a RPI4 is
still not such a good idea. ”