Thank you for your suggestions!

As far as my expertise goes, this seems to be a OS issue, not an
application issue. But I'm not a proficient enough linux user to
diagnose it.

So, what I tried was to reimage the piCorePlayer (this time with the x64
version - before I used the 32bit image). The behavior was still the
same.
Next I tried a variation of one of the suggestions: use the cron to
restart the pCP if the connection goes down.
I made a small script that is attached below:

  #!/bin/sh
  LINK_STATE=$(cat /sys/class/net/eth0/operstate)
  if [[ "$LINK_STATE" = "down" ]]; then
  sudo reboot
  fi

--------------------

script is then run every 5 minutes with the following cron command:

    */5 * * * * /home/tc/mon-eth0.sh

This solves the availability part of the operating system but introduces
a new problem, this time an application one:
Squeezelite fails to start when the speakers are off/connected to
another input source.

So my next problem is: how to make Squeezelite start when the DAC is not
connected?

There may be an answer  to this question in the thread below:

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?113802-piCorePlayer-Squeezelite-doesn-t-start-when-USB-DAC-is-turned-off

I will post my progress (when I make any!).