hoverdonkey wrote:
>  Next part of the puzzle...   we (the family) have been used to LMS
> (DietPi) + SSD-USB boot drive + Pi 3B+ + ethernet.  All running smoothly
> and speedily.  As a stopgap, I am currently on LMS (pcP) + (fast) SD +
> Pi 3B + ethernet.  There is marked lagginess, e.g. with art loading.  I
> suspect much of that is due to SD vs. SSD (i.e. rather than 3B vs. 3B+).
> So, when I move to the Pi 4, will the SD be enough or would I do better
> to spend more £s, either on a USB 3 drive (cheapest option) or  SSD-USB
> again (pricier)?

You were asking Paul, but I'll share that I've used a sandisk fit usb
flash drive for years with a pi3 and pi4 both running LMS and
squeezelite as a player, also on wifi and it works great, never notice
any lag in displaying artwork or other performance issues. With the
capacity of good quality usb flash drives that are available today, I
think they are an excellent way to store media. I have used both a 128
GB and 256 GB usb flash drive  and then I don't worry about my music
files on the SD card when updating versions. The key is to use good
quality SD and USB drives.  The USB3 port on pi4 with a USB 3 rated
flash drive really speeds up transferring files, but the USB2 was more
than adequate storing music for LMS.  As many on the forum advise, it is
what works best for you, many options.
Anthony

Pi 4 - JustBoom Digi - Topping E30
Pi 4 - HiFiBerry Provides Dac