Hi,

I recently switched from using Windows to MacOS and I've always run the
HDD attached to the Pi, and an external backup HDD as exFAT

Since moving to MacOS, I've learned the hard way that MacOS doesn't play
nice with exFAT where the disc was formatted on Windows (which uses a
default allocation size of 4096) - from what I can see, MacOS only
supports allocation sizes up to 1024

I use GoodSync on MacOS to backup between the drive normally connected
to the Pi and my backup drive btw

So I guess I have two questions:
1. would changing to allocation size of 1024 have much impact on
performance? (either in use on the Pi, playback, re-indexing etc, or
when backing up)
2. is there a better format than exFAT that will work on both the Pi and
MacOS (and ideally Windows too, just in case, but not a deal breaker)
3. Other options? (e.g. running Windows on my MacBook Air M1?)

For reference, I have c6TB of music files (almost entirely FLAC)

Any help or experience would be welcome - thank you in advance...