I read through the thread and I have a slightly different understanding
of what the OP is looking for. He would like to use IR to obtain the
same function as using a browser to access the pcp UI page, and
initiating the "shutdown" button.

As mentioned by others:
1) Power would still be "on" on the pi, just pcp would be
stopped/shutdown.
2) In order to restore pcp operation, physical power would have to be
removed and reestablished in order to restart pcp, so he would not have
a corresponding "power on" IR function.

As mentioned by @Paul-, there are pi boards available that could remove
and restore power from the pi, but since pcp should be shutdown before
removing power, it seems like the OP's request could be useful (in
conjunction with a pi accessory board).

Personally, I just keep pcp (sever only) running 24/7, but on one of my
systems I have an old integrated amp and a DAC that do not have IR
on/off capabilities, and I am still looking for an IR solution besides
X10**, so they remain on as well (unless I remember to turn them off
:)).

**Try looking for an IR controlled power strip/block, they don't exist.
Only RF, probably due to need for no line of sight. If somebody knows
something, please let me know.

Jim