bengaldave wrote:
> Hello, This is an old thread but...,
>
> is this still the preferred method to get more than 1 squeezelite
> playing?
> Thanks

>From what I can tell yes. I set mine up in a script file with the
following.

    #!/bin/sh

  # Sound Devices - mac addresses are fake and these play directly from the
server
  /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n 'Gym' -o plughw:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0 -a 80:::1: -m
ad:aa:67:fb:74:19 -C 15 &

  /usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n 'office' -o plughw:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0 -a 80:::1:
-m 8c:fb:61:9d:06:40 -C 15 &

  exec sh

--------------------

I used the command -squeezelite -l- to get the list of hardware.
> [...]
> device with all software conversions
> sysdefault:CARD=CODEC          - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - Default
> Audio Device
> front:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0         - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - Front
> output / input
> surround21:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - 2.1
> Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
> surround40:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - 4.0
> Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - 4.1
> Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - 5.0
> Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - 5.1
> Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0    - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - 7.1
> Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> iec958:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0        - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - IEC958
> (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
> dmix:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0          - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - Direct
> sample mixing device
> dsnoop:CARD=CODEC,DEV=0        - USB Audio CODEC, USB Audio - Direct
> sample snooping device
> hw:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0            - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - Direct hardware device without any conversions
> plughw:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0        - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - Hardware device with all software conversions
> sysdefault:CARD=Adapt          - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0         - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - Front output / input
> surround21:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0    - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
> surround40:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0    - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0    - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0    - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0    - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer
> speakers
> surround71:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0    - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer
> speakers
> iec958:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0        - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
> dmix:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0          - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB
> Audio - Direct sample mixing device
> dsnoop:CARD=Adapt,DEV=0        - USB-A to 3.5mm Jack Audio Adapt, USB

I don't know the difference between hw:card and plughw:card, but the
description made it sound to me as though the software will convert
formats before pushing it to the hardware device?

Everything appears to be working fine for me at the moment and planning
to add more dacs. Since I'm using picoreplayer to replace an old elan
home system where all the speaker wires terminate in one location,
having a multichannel amp and tiny dacs for each seemed the easiest and
cheapest solution.

I had originally had a raspberry pi for each group of channels as a
streamer with another raspberry pi as a controller in various rooms;
some mounted in walls and others freestanding all with raspverry pi
display. This was difficult to manage and Raspberry Pi's are an arm and
a leg at the moment. So learning about how to setup multiple
squeezelites on one server was awesome. Thanks to everyone in this
thread.