I may have a fix for the horizontal scrollbar issue. In my experience it
appears when you have the ajax preferences turned on. There is some extra
padding and a misplaced margin in the #preference-items css declarations
that causes the scroll bar to appear.

The following is my snippet from *_preferences.css. Note you will have to
edit all *_preferences.css files (metal, grape, spring, etc). I highlighted
the bits I changed.

#preference-items {
    padding: 5px 0 0 0;
    margin:0;