I've tested with every database listed except MS SQL Server but the Joins section in their documentation seems to imply they support the ANSI SQL syntax for joins as well: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa213233(SQL.80).aspx

-Eric

Drew Wills wrote:
Eric Dalquist wrote:
I'd like to make some changes to the import/export scripts as outlined here: http://www.ja-sig.org/issues/browse/UP-1897

The base idea is that currently importing a .user without also importing a corresponding .layout results in an entry in UP_USER that cannot log in since the user's profile is imported as well even though the profile may require a layout.

The change is moving the <profile> information from the .user files into the .layout files. This would result in a .user that can be imported and function even if that user has no layout. Entities exported from 2.6 will still function as the 2.6 format import scripts are not touched by the change.

As we discussed last week, I feel these changes are desirable and would be happy to see them make it, all else being equal.

Looking at the .patch file, I see a lot of "LEFT JOIN" expressions in the SQL statements -- are you confident that these will run on all the common RDBMS platforms?

I'm not a SQL guru, and I can't remember which vendors support and don't support specific syntax. I mostly just try to keep the SQL simple in uPortal.

Can anyone chime in on the subject of "LEFT JOIN" on the following DB flavors, either all of them or individually?
  - hsqldb
  - postgresql
  - oracle
  - *MS SQL Server*