I'm comfortable with it.

---- Cris J H

Eric Dalquist wrote:
I'm working on getting 3.0.1 ready for release. Are we all comfortable with removing the .zip distributions?

-Eric

Andrew Petro wrote:
Cris,

I think that what you propose is a very good idea, especially if accompanied by good documentation/hints/links in the download area of the website along the lines of "Why is there no .zip file? How do I open this files that are here?"

This would also help address the downsides of use of .zip formats on platforms that would benefit by formats that retain permissions flags on the extracted files, by simply preventing the use of the less-rich .zip format.

One quick band-aid we could apply would be to slap a red warning box on the download page warning folks about naively opening the .zip distros in Windows.

http://www.uportal.org/download.html

However, I'd want to hear and give great weight to Eric Dalquist's perspective, since he's most recently been closely involved in the distribution build process automation.

Andrew

Cris J Holdorph wrote:
This is something I see all the time in addition to the number of times it comes up on the list.

What do people think about the advantages/disadvantages of changing our distribution format.

I know just about any other format would require someone to install a tool they probably don't have on their box. But isn't that the crux of the current problem? That they are trying to unarchive without installing a new tool? So, what extra work would we really be adding?

By way of suggestion, what about either .tar.gz or 7-zip formats? 7-zip is a free and open source solution available for both windows, linux and mac os. .tar.gz is also available quite easily on mac os x and linux. I think 7-zip or winzip (shareware) will open .tar.gz files.

The other solution, that most other apps seem to take, is building self-extracting archives (or install programs), so that the download is either a .exe or .msi file.

---- Cris J H

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]