Hi all,

Now that the Fluid Reorderer has been integrated into uPortal, I wanted to
discuss some of the Javascript optimizations issues that have come up before
on the list.  In particular, Tuy had run and sent the results of Yahoo's
YSlow tool and identified some areas where we could make improvements.

To reduce the number of HTTP requests per page, I've tried combining related
javascript files into a common file.  I've also used the maven yui
compressor plugin to minify uPortal javascript code (jquery and Fluid code
is already minified in the source).  Are these changes people would like to
see added to the source?

I also wanted other opinions on how much of the jQuery UI library and CSS
we'd like to include in the uPortal distribution.  In the past, we included
all the core library pieces and widgets in the source, and only included in
the page the files that were necessary.  Combining javascript files into a
common file would make this approach hard to accomplish.  Should we only
include needed resources in the main jquery ui portal file?  In that
scenario, portal administrators would need to add additional javascript
resources, rather than just linking to them.

Right now in my local development portal, combining a pared-down javascript
dependency set and maven minification of javscript and css has led to 166kb
of javascript and 44kb of css for base uportal pages.  Turning on gzipping
in tomcat leads to 51kb of javascript and 11kb of css.  It seems like this
is a step in the right direction for us, and the reduced download set would
probably come in useful in most portal installations.  I just want to make
sure we don't make it difficult to add other needed jquery or Fluid library
resources to the portal.

- Jen

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: [EMAIL