On 05/08/2010 01:14 AM, Benito J. Gonzalez wrote:a
> Has anyone evaluated or implemented uPortal on Ubuntu for production?
We run uPortal 2.6 on Ubuntu with Tomcat with Sun JDK. The Tomcat is not
the package from Ubuntu, but manually downloaded as a ZIP.
Ubuntu is setup to apply automatically all security updates.

More info:
We always use the latest Ubuntu server available (not LTS) and for the
last 1.5 years it is  under VMWare ESXi (the free version) 3.5 with
1500MB virtual RAM, 1 virtual CPU dedicated to it. Hardware is  DELL
2950 with E5320 cpu and 4gb ram.
We rarely have more that 50 concurrent connections and it is 100%
stable. In fact it is so stable that the only outage it sees is when the
power is down for longer that the UPS capacity (~ 1/month)

So. If you are moving to new installation, I would suggest to host it
virtually. Even if I only have a single VM on the server and despite
loosing 1% cpu, I would still do it with a virtualization solution.

For example ESXi needed no maintenance for 18 months now and it gave me
24/7 access to the consoles of all the VMs even from the beach bar. So,
wrong kernel - no worries. New installation - no worries. Upgrade to new
Ubuntu version - no worries. It is great when you no longer have to go
to the server room - at all.

Since we don't have many online users, we don't even need something that
does failover immediately. When the hardware is down, we move the HDD to
another server with ESX and bring the machine online on the temp til the
original is fixed. We use RAID mirroring so if the HDD is dead, we still
have another copy, and of course we have backup of most important staff.
We backup a snapshot of the entire virtual machine. But it's flexible
because you can choose to have several partitions in separate virtual
hdd-s. This way we can be up and running from a total server crach
usually in just 5 minutes.

We have 20 such servers hosting 50 sites and just one system admin.

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as:
arch...@mail-archive.com