I do have a couple of local issues where we'd like to run reports
against user layouts in order to understand what our user base has
customized. Most of the need is not time sensitive, so calling upon an
API would probably be okay. The only thing I could see vaguely being
time sensitive is the notion of a portlet that ranked the popularity
of other portlets, but even that could run in the background and be
cached.

For no good reason, other than having been bitten by another system
here used to store its data as XML in a database, I've not been a fan
of that approach, but you folks are far more current on the issues
than I am. That system here that stored XML had lots of trouble trying
to support reporting later. It couldn't match the flexibility and
speed of a database query.

--
Bruce Tong
Software Engineer