It has to be inside of uPortal. I'm not that familiar with the CPD registration code but it would be neat to extend uPortal to do something like check in the META-INF directory of every portlet webapp for .cpd files and auto-register them. I really don't know what would be involved with that on the uPortal side but you can get access to files in another context via:

servletContext.getContext("/PortletAppId").getResource("/META-INF/foo.cpd")

-Eric