One thing I think is important to look at with the 'build' system in uPortal, is there has long been parts of the system that have nothing to do with 'building'. Take a simple example, like adding a new fragment to uPortal from a fragment definition file. This does not need to be tied to the build system. Here's another... Loading the initial database. That's an installation step, not a build step.

uPortal's build system is complicated because it's trying to be 3 things in one. It's trying to 1) build uPortal, 2) install uPortal, 3) system administer uPortal.

If I was to put time towards working on this problem, my first goal would be to get "2" and "3" out of the build altogether and handled in some other way. If you did that, I believe you'd have a simpler build system then you have right now.

Going with Gradle to handle the 'scripting' that is currently done in Ant, tells me that we're just going to keep the problem of having all three of these things mixed together in one system. I think that's a mistake. And even if you get to something that feels like an improvement over the current ant+maven, it will still be more complicated then it needs to be.

---- Cris J H