David Bovill wrote:

> The main issue for us here is about mixing code projects together
> in ways in which the code can be used in clear ways for commercial
> and non-commercial projects - removing the uncertainty. Let's just
> make sure the code bases can be mixed together. If someone uses a
> "strange" - CC style license, which is not GPL compatible, then I
> won't be able to combine it with code that uses other licenses in
> any legally robust way.

For some that may be a feature.

If you want GPL, use GPL. MIT seems even more liberal, all the sharing without the forced openness downstream. And then there's even public domain, the freest of all.

> As a practical example I would not be able to submit my code
> libraries or code I have form other people to the revIgnitor
> project, as the license was hand crafted. Ralf changing the
> license to a GPL compatible license made everything start to
> work nicely.

That may work well for you, but that means for me I can't use revIgniter as an embedded system in a closed-source product. Not that I have an immediate need for that, but I'd considered using revIgniter for a project recently, but that project has a likelihood to fork into an embedded proprietary component down the road, so GPL stuff would be challenging to consider.

> The same will go with other projects that seek to make compilations
> of open code. A mosaic of poorly thought out licenses will cause
> real problems.

Anything poorly thought out will cause problems. :)

There are scenarios for meaningful sharing that aren't addressed by GLP-compatible licenses, so while it would be desirable if there were fewer licenses in the world, the diversity of needs seems to require equally diverse terms to describe them.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World