Found some more information on this from the Arduino Forums. It seems to me
that the disconnect connect in HT is similar to what I have been doing by hand.
And that HT is doing some kind of buffering due to incorrect Flow Control
Settings. But how can I test this in LC???

> "When my program starts I set up initial parameter by sending their values to
> Arduino in dialog mode, then I receive and log incoming data. I test my code
> with Serial Monitor in Arduino 0007 Alpha IDE and everything is OK - I send
> and receive information to/from Arduino. When I try to do this with Windows
> Hyper Terminal I can’t send information to Arduino. The information is
> sending to Arduino only when I disconnect and connect again. With data that I
> receive I don’t have problems. "

> "my impression is that there seems to be a hidden control character that that
> the IDE sends to put the Arduino into "Serial Monitor" mode."

> "For example to adjust my software system clock on Arduino Board in IDE I
> send something like this string:
>
> “h3im5dg” and <Enter> "

> "In Hyper Terminal this don’t work, but I make it to work. I connect to COM3,
> write “h3im5dg”, click “Disconnect”, click “Connect” and characters are sent,
> the clock is set and I receive data from Arduino. If I don’t
> Disconnect-and-Connect I can’t send data.
> It works, but this is very inconvenient way……….."

> "HyperTerminal might be doing some sort of strange buffering, I'm not sure.
> There's nothing magic about the Arduino serial monitor (it doesn't send any
> special codes to the board or anything). "

> "I was experiencing a problem like this, i think i fixed it by changing the
> flow control settings."

> "FOund the problem... In HyperTerminal you have to set flow control to off to
> stop HT from buffering the input... Works like a charm now.."

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
3mcgr...@comcast.net