On Feb 1, 2011, at 5:29 PM, dunb...@aol.com wrote:

HC sends DTMF tones with the "dial" command through the speaker jack.
These can connect to a dialer gadget called a "TurboDialer", which connects to a
telephone handset.

Nothing like that in LC at all? Never mind the hardware.

It is actually possible to make calls that way by holding the receiver up
to the computer speaker.

Shades of Captain Crunch.

I used this in an old HC stack. When I joined my current group practice I discovered that the modern phone system here (apparently a LAN with its own server, all self-contained) wouldn't recognize the tones played through the receiver. So I retired that feature. The loss is now somewhat mitigated by my being able to use voice-activated dialing on my iPhone....

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmb...@gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig

It was all so different before everything changed.