Warren Samples wrote:

Just to point out, although I'm sure you noticed;  while I do get the promised
$ vars, which appears to be not
working for you, the "-ui" flag is not being stored here, and it seems you're
interested in getting that. That
the $ values exist at all would indicate commandline, but it's not
inconceivable that one might want some
conditional behaviors based on whether or not the app is running with a gui, thus storing
the "-ui" flag could
be helpful. Such refinement is naturally only useful if the basics can be
relied on, though :(

Actually, the $ vars will contain the paths to any files the app is launched with in the GUI too, which is why relying on the presence of the $ vars alone won't work for me since our apps read those values to determine which files to open at launch.

Thanks for confirming what Mark Weider discovered, that flags used by the engine ("-ui" is among the very few that are still used) aren't passed along to the app. It seems other args not used by the engine are passed along, however, so we can design our own syntax as needed - quite exciting, in a geeky sorta way. :)

For now it seems I can use the window ID to figure out whether the app is launched with -ui; in my testing on all three platforms the window ID of the mainstack is 1 when launched with -ui, but not when launched with the GUI.

Extra bonus points:

When using R, MySQL, Mongo, and many other apps, I'm in an interactive mode in which the app provides its own console UI and its own prompt.

It may be useful down the road to be able to provide such an interactive mode for the command line, but I've been unable to wrap my head around using stdin and stdout to do this. So far, I can only pass args to the app, have it process those, and deliver output from them and quit.

How can I set up my own interactive mode from the command line, and can I make a custom prompt to signify to the user that they're in my app?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World