Thanks, that sounds like what the default Android setup does too. So if I understand it right, the screenrect returns the available area of the screen below the notch, and I assume that fullscreenMode adapts to only that area as well.

My current project won't be supporting a landscape layout so at least I don't need to worry about that. I'll eventually start looking at the simulators/emulators to make sure I've got it right, but you've given me a head start for now. We're still at the design phase.

The notch is a silly hardware decision, and I can't fathom why Android manufacturers think they need to copy Apple's ugly design. And from what I read on the Android blogs, very few Android users like the notch either, and many are virulently against it.

Headache indeed.

On 1/29/19 7:40 PM, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
For iOS it returns the rect of the largest rectangle on the screen in any of
3 orientations (iPhone X does not allow portrait upside down). An iPhone X
not only has the notch but rounded corners and the "swipe up home deal" area
that's always at the bottom and must remain visible and unimpaired.

Another wrinkle is "landscape and the iPhone X(all models)".

There are two layout choices for a rectangular landscape app. This assumes
you are already adding a margin on the notch and bottom(home swipe area)
sides.
#1) Use up to the top of the screen and add a margin on the non-notch side
so the app is not in the "curve" of the corner. This is what GetCardRect()
does.
#2) Use all the way to the edge of the non-notch side and add a top margin
so the app is not in the "curve" of the upper left or upper right
corner(depending on landscape left or right).
So you can choose 1 of 2 different aspect ratios for a landscape iPhone X LC
App.

< headache headache headache headache headache>

GetCardRect() also has the option to return the rect that does/doesn't
include the keyboard area if visible.