On 30/03/2019 21:56, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
Given that it's taken years to get approval for -f, I'm reluctant to overload the task with too many additional features at the outset, though perhaps as a separate scope of work it may be worth pursuing if we can find someone to implement it.

What sorts of things are you building that use specific fonts in generated graphics on the server?

In reality, so far, none.

In principle - perhaps many, but I wouldn't know :-)

My current project is to build a Graphing Library (driven by a specific desktop app that I'm developing for personal/family use). Neither ChartsEngine nor ChartMaker is suitable (they don't support the specific kind of hybrid graph I need), so I'm building an open-source LC Graphing library.

There's no reason why it couldn't run on LCServer (and good reason why it might be useful - the app I'm building as the primary use-case could easily be run on the family web-site). So it would generate the graphics inside a group, take a snapshot of that, and include that JPG file in the web site output.

The library allows for titles, axis labels, grid/tick labels, a legend, etc. - all of which allow setting of text size, color, font, etc. - so could require specific fonts.

Right now it doesn't all work (I'm slowly fighting my through various difficulties in the Server implementation - I think caused by the fact that there are no inherited properties from the card/stack, but more likely caused by my bugs :-), and indeed even the desktop version is incomplete; but I hope to have it ready for beta release sometime this Spring.

And then I can get back to actually building the real app that I wanted in the first place :-)

Alex.