OK, here's a "really out there" suggestion ....

1. Run a local web server  to serve files (locally only).

     Can be done various ways, including (easily) via LC and the httpd library,

        (build that server as a standalone and have it running - started from your app if need be...)

2. in your stack, just do

  load url ("http://localhost:8080/myfilename";) with message "mycallback"

and handle the file once it has been read in the "mycallback" handler

-- Alex.