I use fullscreenMode "showAll" and put the important elements into the "safe" area in the center. I put unimportant filler outside that area, sometimes just a background fill color, sometimes a large image, depending on the layout and content. The extra material fills the edges without interfering with the active controls in the center.

Where appropriate, I set the width of header and footer groups to the width of the screen to fill the entire visible area. Or sometimes I just make those groups very wide so that any screen width is still narrower than the group.

I haven't had to deal with landscape orientation in any of my mobile apps, so everything is sized and arranged for a vertical orientation.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jac...@hyperactivesw.com