Hi Dar,

Yes, this is a viable work-around for the Windows shell bug.

function newShell pCommand
  local tResult
  set the hideConsoleWindows to true
  set the shellCommand to "cmd.exe /u" --/U for UTF16 output
  put shell(pCommand) into tResult
  if the result is empty then -- no errors
    put textDecode(tFileDetails,"UTF-16") into tResult
    replace cr&cr with cr in tResult
  end if
  return tResult
end newShell

The above can be used with any Windows shell command that is expected to return non-ASCII text

Thank you, I was unaware of the /U switch for CMD.EXE.

Still, I would like the "detailed files" bug fixed by LiveCode as the only way under Windows (that I have found) to get the equivalent data appears to be with the "wmic" command and that requires asking for file attributes one file at a time, which means multiple shell calls and that slows my work-around down a lot.

Example:
wmic datafile where Name="C:\\Users\\paul\\Desktop\\Unicode Study\\peace.docx" get Name,FileSize,CreationDate,LastModified,LastAccessed

Sorry for not responding sooner.