I always like it when you give these well thought replies, Richard.

Opposed to me, i flap some things out sometimes too quick.

Op 31-8-2019 om 19:19 schreef Richard Gaskin via use-livecode:
William Prothero wrote:

> ...I’m wondering whether it might be easier and better to just use
> the engine as a cgi and do everything in css and html.

Yes.

On the sever, LC makes as good a choice for CGIs as nearly anything else.

On the client there are many options, including browser-native HTML, LC's emscripten export to JS/HTML, or an LC native app.

Considering how simple and lightweight web forms are, esp. with CSS3's features for field labels and prompts vs having to script all of that by hand in LC, for things like that the choice clearly favors simplicity.

Then consider the browser compatibility constraints of LC's current export, and that mobile isn't considered supported at all, and the choice becomes even clearer.

LC's HTML export can be useful for certain kinds of highly vertical solutions, esp. those with little to no direct business competition. But as others here have noted, it's not designed for making most kinds of web pages.

It's easy to look at desktop and browser apps as being similar, but the more you work in both the clearer it becomes that they are radically different paradigms.

Native apps, whether made with LC, XCode, VB, or anything else, are based on static coordinates, while web elements automatically reflow. Right off the bat all aspects of handling layout and changes to layout are different at a very fundamental level.

Think about the implications of that for a while, then consider all the ways LC is designed to talk to OS APIs, and how browsers are designed to insulate the user's OS from what happens within web pages, and the stark differences between the two become soberly clear.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems